Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Easter Rebirth Issue ... a few days late. – April 26, 2011

“Why would anyone want to go back to school at your age?”  That is a question that I asked myself for years before I did.
There is any number of good reasons why and they are different for every person.  Some people do it for personal satisfaction or to get a promotion at work.  Other people want to complete their unfinished degrees and be a role model to their children.
Those are all good reasons but not the most important reason why I went back to school. 
I felt tremendous guilt that my father and stepmother worked very hard to put me through college and I repaid them by dropping out and lying to them about it.  We’ve already established that I was poor student and a drunk but I was also a accomplished liar.
Even after I got sober and while trying to live a life of rigorous honesty; I still could not bring myself to tell my father I had lied to him, even as he lay dying of kidney disease.  I feel like I need to repay him by finishing what I should have been done a long time ago.
I suspect that he knew and it would not have mattered, he loved me just the same.
Sound like another story you heard this Easter?
Have a blessed day and if you did not get any eggs this year I figured out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment